I am a business researcher interested in markets and the consumer society. This means that my research with consumer communities is at the thriving urban scenes and the vibrant start ups where nascent trends are driving the future of our society. As a postdoctoral researcher, my work is affiliated with the Aalto University School of Business in Helsinki Finland where I use mainly qualitative research methods including ethnography.
My research has been published in peer-reviewed journals in marketing including Marketing Theory and Industrial Marketing Management. A recurrent theme in my research is the role of representations, where marketers make something stand for something else, like when they make diamonds stand for eternal love. I am fascinated by how consumer communities mobilize representations and materiality, and thus I am a big fan, on the one hand, of scholars of science and technology like Latour, Law and Callon, and on the other hand, I admire the work of scholars of representation like Baudrillard and Miller.
My interest in academic business research is driven in part by my experience in industry as a marketing at the now defunct Mexicana Airlines. On the one hand, Mexicana Airlines used to serve upscale North American leisure and business travelers, and on the other hand ethnic migratory workers. This means that the airline required two different organizational identities simultaneously; a balancing act that was challenging, to put it mildly. My previous experience in market research helped me to develop consumer insights that were needed to balance the creative paths in advertising and the investing guidelines in media.
In this website you can find about my portfolio including the most relevant publications.
- Postdoctoral researcher in marketing at the Aalto University School of Business in Helsinki, Finland.
- Research interests include consumer culture and marketing strategy
- Doctor in Economic Sciences and Business Administration by the Hanken School of Economics in Helsinki, Finland
- Experience in industry as market researcher and marketing manager.
- Diaz Ruiz, CA (2014). Market Representations in Action: Foundations for the performativity of representations in marketing. Publications of the Hanken School of Economics, Economi och Samhälle 274. ISBN 978-952-232-239-5, ISSN 0424-7256
- Diaz Ruiz, CA and Kowalkowski, C (2014). Market representations in industrial marketing: Could representations in fluence strategy? Industrial Marketing Management, 43 (6). 1026–1034 DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2014.05.015
- Diaz Ruiz, C. (2013). Assembling market representations. Marketing Theory, 13(3). 245-261. DOI: 10.1177/1470593113487744
- Diaz Ruiz, C. (2012). Theories of markets: Insights from marketing and the sociology of markets. The Marketing Review, 12(1), 61-77. DOI: 10.1362/146934712X13286274424316