2014 – Doctorate in Economics and Business Administration (D.Sc) equivalent to a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Hanken School of Economics, Department of Marketing, FINLAND
Hanken (est. 1909) is a university-level business school located in Finland. Hanken has the triple-crown of international accreditations (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS).
Supervisors: Prof. Maria Holmlund, PhD Hanken School of Economics, FINLAND. Prof. Lisa Peñaloza, PhD, Kedge Business School, FRANCE. Prof. Christian Kowalkowski, PhD. Linköping University, SWEDEN. Opponent: Prof. Luis Araujo, PhD, Manchester Business School, UK. Pre-examiners: Prof. Debbie Harrison, PhD, BI Norwegian Business S., NORWAY. Prof. Suvi Nenonen, PhD. The University of Auckland, N.Z.
Dissertation: Market Representations in Action: Foundations for the performativity of representations in marketing. Publications of the Hanken School of Economics, N° 274. ISBN 978-952-232-239-5, ISSN 0424-7256
2007 – Master in Intercultural Communication (M.A) University of Jyväskylä, Department of Communications, FINLAND
2002 – Licenciatura Marketing, equivalent to a Bachelor in Business Administration (B.B.A) Tecnológico de Monterrey (ITESM), Department of Marketing, MEXICO
09/2015-present Assistant Professor of Marketing. KEDGE Business School. Bordeaux, FRANCE.
KEDGE (est. 2013) is a Grande Ecole de Commerce et de Management resulting from the merger of Bordeaux École de management BEM (est. 1874) and Euromed Marseille (est. 1872). KEDGE has all the major international accreditation (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS).
08/2014-08/2015 Postdoctoral research fellow in marketing and consumer culture. Aalto University. Helsinki, FINLAND.
Aalto (est. 2010) is the merger of the Helsinki University of Technology (est. 1849), Helsinki School of Economics (est. 1904) and the School of Art and Design (est. 1871). Aalto University Business School is triple accredited (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS).
09/2010-08/2014 Doctoral researcher in marketing and services management. Hanken School of Economics. Helsinki, FINLAND.
Hanken School of Economics (est. 1909) is Finnish business school with the triple accreditation (AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS)
Experience in industry
06/2008-09/2010 Marketing director for USA and Canada. Mexicana Airlines, Mexico City MEXICO and Los Angeles USA.
Mexicana de Aviación (est. 1921) was the flagship airline of Mexico. My role focused on southbound leisure/business travel originating in USA and Canada, and bilateral migrant flows. In addition, I managed corporate market research and destination marketing outreach.
06/2007-05/2008 Founder of a start-up. Entiende Market Research. Mexico City, MEXICO and Los Angeles USA.
08/2002-06/2007 Consultant in consumer insights and market research. Grupo IDM (Investigación de Mercados). Mexico City, MEXICO
IDM is a full-service market research agency operating in Mexico, Latin America, and USA. This consultancy specializes in market research a la carte. I transitioned in multiple positions: from research assistant to senior consultant. Commercial research projects featured global brands (Bacardi, Mastercard, The Coca-Cola Company and Bayer), and domestic powerhouses (Grupo BIMBO and CEMEX).
Peer-reviewed academic journals
- Diaz Ruiz, C. A. and Holmlund, M. (2017). Actionable marketing knowledge: A close reading of representation, knowledgeand action in market research. Industrial Marketing Management, ( DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2017.08.005 )
- Holmqvist, J and Diaz Ruiz, C. A. (Forthcoming). What is the difference among Service Ecosystems, Markets, and Business Networks? A horizontal literature review. The TQM Journal. (accepted for publication)
- Diaz Ruiz, C. A. and Kowalkowski, C. (2014). Market representations in industrial marketing: Could representations influence strategy? Industrial Marketing Management, 43 (6). 1026–1034 DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2014.05.015
- Diaz Ruiz, C. A. (2013). Assembling market representations. Marketing Theory, 13(3). 245-261. DOI: 10.1177/1470593113487744
- Diaz Ruiz, C. A. (2012). Theories of markets: Insights from marketing and the sociology of markets. The Marketing Review, 12(1), 61-77. DOI: 10.1362/146934712X13286274424316
Selected Communications published in conference proceedings
- Diaz Ruiz, CA, Mason K. Araujo L., and Mora P (2017). “From Cases to Casing: A Performative Approach to Flip the Management Classroom from the Case Method to Case Research” IMP conference, 7-9 September, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Diaz Ruiz, CA, Mason K. Mora P, and Araujo L. (2016). “Incumbents and Challenges in the Bordeaux Wine Market” Market Studies Workshop, June, St. Andrews Scotland.
- Diaz Ruiz, CA, Holmqvist J. and Peñaloza L. (2016). “Value and Valuation: Applications of Novel Theorizations” Special session organized by Dolbec P-Y and H Weijo, Academy of Marketing 25-28 February, Las Vegas USA
- Diaz Ruiz, CAand Kjellberg, H. (2015). “John is a ‘Lumbersexual.’ In the special session Murto, R., “Performativity in markets: What can the field of market studies offer to CCT?” 10th annual Consumer Culture Theory Conference. 18-21 June, Arkansas, USA
- Holmqvist J., Diaz Ruiz, CA, and Peñaloza L. (2015). “Consumers’ moments of luxury: the case of salsa festivals.” The 44th EMAC Conference (European Marketing Academy), 26-29 May, Leuven, Belgium
- Holmqvist J., Diaz Ruiz, CA, and Peñaloza L. (2015). “Value as a fleeting moment: Value-in-use in a temporal practice.” The Naples Forum on Service, 9-12 June 2015, Naples Italy
- Diaz Ruiz, CA, Holmqvist J. and Peñaloza L. (2014). “Collective value creation within a Community of Practice: An ethnography with a community of salsa dancers.” 9th annual Consumer Culture Theory Conference. 16-29 June Helsinki, Finland
- Diaz Ruiz, CA, Holmqvist J. and Peñaloza L. (2013). “Articulation of value at the market level.” The 42thEMAC Conference (European Marketing Academy), 4-7 June, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Diaz Ruiz, CA, and Kowalkowski C. (2013). “Market representations in industrial marketing: an experimental investigation.” 29th IMP Conference, 1-2 September, Atlanta, USA
- Diaz Ruiz, CA (2012) ‘Implications of Market Practices in Market Orientation’ in Proceedings of the 41thEMAC Conference: Marketing to citizens: Going beyond customers and consumers, pp. 360-361. 22-25 May, Lisbon, Portugal
- Diaz Ruiz, CA. (2012). “Organizing markets through representations in Market Research.” 45th Academy of Marketing Conference, 2-5 July, Southampton, UK.
- Diaz Ruiz, CA. (2011). “Reframing Market Configurations: Marketing in Market Scripting.” 44th Academy of Marketing Conference, 5-7 July, Liverpool, UK.
Presentations in international conferences
09/2017 33rd IMP conference, 7-9 September, Kuala Lumpur, MALAISYA “From Cases to Casing: A Performative Approach to Flip the Management Classroom from the Case Method to Case Research”
02/2016 AMA Winter Marketing Academic Conference; 26-28 Feb, Las Vegas, USA “Special session on value creation
06/2015 10th annual Consumer Culture Theory Conference; 18-21 June, Arkansas, USA Special session on “Performativity in markets: What can the field of market studies offer to CCT?”
05/2015 The 44th EMAC Conference (European Marketing Academy), 26-29 May, Leuven, BELGIUM“Consumers’ moments of luxury: the case of salsa festivals.”
06/2014 9th annual Consumer Culture Theory Conference. 16-29 June Helsinki, FINLAND“Collective value creation within a Community of Practice: An ethnography with a community of salsa dancers.”
06/2014 The 42th EMAC Conference (European Marketing Academy), 4-7 June, Istanbul, TURKEY. “Articulation of value at the market level.”
09/2013 29th IMP Conference, 1-2 September, Atlanta, USA “Market representations in industrial marketing: an experimental investigation.”
05/2012 The 41th EMAC Conference (European Marketing Academy), 22-25 May, Lisbon, PORTUGAL. “Implications of Market Practices in Market Orientation.”
07/2012 45th Academy of Marketing Conference, 2-5 July, Southampton, UK. “Organizing markets through representations in Market Research.”
07/2011 44th Academy of Marketing Conference, 5-7 July, Liverpool, UK. “Reframing Market Configurations: Marketing in Market Scripting.”
Participation in relevant academic workshops
06/2016 Interdisciplinary Workshop in Market Studies, University of St Andrews, St. Andrews, SCOTLAND
06/2015 Consumer Culture Theory, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, USA
05/2014 Consumer Culture Nordic, Stockholm University, Stockholm, SWEDEN
10/2013 Finnish Marketing Tutorial,University of Vaasa, Vaasa, FINLAND
08/2013 IMP Group Doctoral Colloquium, Robinson College of Business, Atlanta, USA
05/2013 Consumer Culture Theorizing, Bilkent University, Ankara, TURKEY
09/2012 Service Management and Relationship Marketing tutorial, Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki, FINLAND
06/2012 2nd Interdisciplinary Market Studies Workshop, UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Dublin, IRELAND
06/2012 EMAC Doctoral Colloquium, ISCTE Business School, Lisbon, PORTUGAL
05/2011 Academy of Marketing Doctoral Colloquium, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
03/2011 Tutorial on Effectuation Theory, University of Southern Denmark, Kölding, DENMARK
04/2015 Visiting Scholar, Stockholm School of Economics, department of marketing and strategy. Stockholm, SWEDEN
11/2012, 05/2013 Visiting Scholar, Kedge Business School, department of marketing. Bordeaux, FRANCE
02/2012 Visiting Scholar, St. Petersburg State University, Graduate School of Management. Saint Petersburg, RUSSIA
Professional activities and achievements
Expert and reviewer tasks:
Since 2017 Reviewer for Industrial Marketing Management (IMM)
Since 2016 Junior reviewer program at the Journal of Consumer Research (JCR)
Since 2015 Reviewer for Marketing Theory (MT)
Since 2015 Reviewer for Consumer Culture Theory Conference (CCT), European Marketing Academy (EMAC), and Association of Consumer Research (ACR)
Since 2014 Reviewer for International Journal of Emerging Markets (IJoEM)
Since 2014 Reviewer for Journal of Marketing Management (JMM)
Positions of trust (memberships in councils, boards, scientific associations, etc.)
2012– 2013 Chair of the Board in 2012 for the NGO Aalto Social Impact
2016- Mexican Research Network: Sistema Nacional de Investigadores
2016- Market shaping and Consumption markets and culture. KEDGE, ESC Program Grande École.
This is KEDGE’s flagship master’s program. A generalist business degree that includes not only marketing, but several other managerial disciplines. The courses aim to develop deep strategic thinking in marketing management. I developed the course on Market Shaping to teach students about the disruptive trends from digital marketing, entrepreneurship, and the so-called sharing-economy.
2016- Cultural branding, Consumer Culture Theory. KEDGE, M.Sc. Marketing
This postgraduate program trains marketing specialists for advertising agencies, brand managers and product managers. I developed these courses focused on a sociological and cultural perspective of marketing.
2015-2016 Services Marketing, Cultural Branding, and Qualitative Research, KEDGE, Program Grande École:
During my first year at KEDGE, I taught pre-existing courses in all the programs including PGE, masters and bachelors.
2014-2015 Consumer Culture Theory, Aalto University, M.A marketing
2011-2014 Strategic marketing, Introduction to marketing. Hanken, M.A marketing